Frequently Asked Questions
Browse the list below to find a wealth of information commonly requested by Pet Parents of Hill's™ pet foods. If you don't find what you're looking for, please contact us with any questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much should I feed my pet?
Just as eating amounts vary from person to person, eating amounts vary from pet to pet. Most Hill's™ pet foods have a feeding guide on the package to help you determine the proper amount to feed your pet. However, the feeding guide is intended only as a starting point. It's critical to your pet's health that his or her physical condition be monitored regularly and the feeding amount adjusted as needed. To access the suggested feeding guide for Hill's™ brand pet food that you feed your pet, refer to our product selector.
What is the difference between Prescription Diet™, Science Plan™, and Ideal Balance™ brand pet foods?
Prescription Diet™ brand pet foods are formulated to address specific medical conditions that can develop in pets. Prescription Diet foods are available through your pet's veterinarian. If you have a pet with a medical condition, please speak to your veterinarian to see if a Prescription Diet pet food is right for your dog or cat. Prescription Diet is clinical nutrition to improve quality of life™.
Science Plan™ brand pet foods are formulated to meet the needs of healthy pets during various life stages. Science Plan healthy pet food offers clinically proven benefits that promote vitality and well-being at any age or lifestyle with a full range of precisely balanced products. Science Plan has 100% of what pets need, 0% of what they don't. Science Plan has the finest natural ingredients your pet will love and no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives to help ensure that your pet lives a happy, healthy life.
Ideal Balance™ brand pet foods are natural pet foods for healthy pets during various lifestages. Ideal Balance contains NO corn, wheat or soy and has NO artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. Beyond quality natural ingredients, Ideal Balance products meet Hill's precise nutrient profiles for more than 50 nutrients to ensure perfectly balanced nutrition for the optimal health of pets.
We do not make Science Plan or Ideal Balance products that serve as substitutions for Prescription Diet products.
What's the shelf life of the Hill's™ food my pet eats? How can I store the food?
Check out the shelf life of our foods and storage tips to keep them fresh.
Where can I buy Hill's™ pet foods?
Prescription Diet™ brand pet foods are available at most veterinary clinics and hospitals. If you need to locate a veterinarian in your area, we can help.
Science Plan™ and Ideal Balance™ brand pet foods are available at most veterinary clinics and hospitals, and vet shops. We can help locate a veterinarian or vet shop retailer near you. Science Plan™ and Ideal Balance™ foods are also available online from authorized retailers.
How can I learn more about my pet's Hill's™ pet food - including how it works, the ingredients, the flavours, etc.?
For all the information about Science Plan™, Ideal Balance™ or Prescription Diet™ brand pet food you feed your pet, visit our Products section.
How many calories are in Hill's™ pet foods?
Calories vary from one product to another because each is designed for specific life stages and lifestyles. The calorie content for each of our foods is included in our online product selector.
Is my pet's food available in dry, canned and treat versions?
To see all the available options for your pet's food, use our online product selector.
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed. Or your money back.
Hill's is 100% guaranteed for quality, consistency and taste, or your money back. These words are stated on all our bags and although we receive a very small number of 100% MBG claims, we take them very seriously:
Firstly, we believe it shows our commitment to our products and a superior service level.
Secondly, it helps you try Hill’s without reservation because if your pet won’t eat it we will refund you.
And lastly, all complaints we receive get fed into an international complaints system which help us detect, track and log any problems that may occur with specific batches or products.
As it states, "Hill's is 100% guaranteed for quality, consistency and taste, or your money back."
In other words, you can claim:
- if there is visibly something wrong with the food or packaging that was not caused by incorrect storage after opening.
- if your pet refuses to eat our food after a suitable transition.
- in the unlikely event that you believe the food has caused harm to your pet.
Unfortunately we will refuse claims where:
- more than half the bag of food has been used.
- the vet has changed the pets diet and the bag of the existing food has not been finished.
- the wrong food was purchased and the bag opened.
- the food has expired or purchased over 6 months ago.
- the bag has been damaged after purchase.
- there is obvious abuse of the guarantee on the part of the client.
- the pet has died and there is no longer use for their food.
In order to receive your refund you need to take the bag together with the unused portion of food to the store or vet where you purchased the food. They may request a proof of purchase. All refunds are based on the price on receipt up to the Recommended Retail Selling Price.
My pet is a finicky eater, how can I enhance the taste of my pet's food? Can I feed people food or table scraps?
Taste tests show that pets prefer Hill's™ pet foods to many other leading brands,
howeverwe realisesome pets can be picky eaters. To help you in this situation, we suggest following one or more of the tips below to encourage your pet to eat.
- If you are starting to feed your pet a new food, refer to the 7-Day Transition Schedule for dogs or cats. A gradual transition from the current food to a new food helps wean your pet from one food to another.
- Meal feed your pet by measuring the appropriate daily feeding amount of food and placing it in your pet's bowl. If you are feeding your pet more than one meal during the day, divide the amount into the number of feedings for the day.
- For dogs, allow 10-20 minutes for your dog to eat, then remove the remaining food and wait to feed your dog until his next meal. Remember, food tastes much better when we have an appetite!
- If you are feeding your pet dry food, try hand-feeding by holding the kibbles of food in your hand and feeding it to your pet in small portions for the first few feedings.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of warm (not hot) water to one serving of your pet's dry food. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes to soften the kibbles, then serve. Moisten enough food for one meal feeding at a time so the food doesn't spoil. Do not leave moistened food out more than four hours.
- You can make pet food gravy to mix with the dry food by adding a few tablespoons of warm (not hot) water to the equivalent canned pet food. Spoon the gravy over the dry food and serve. Be sure to only make enough for one serving at a time so the food doesn't spoil.
- To help enhance the flavour of both dry and canned food, add a small amount of low-sodium chicken broth or the liquid drained from tuna canned in water. Only make enough for one serving so the food doesn't spoil. (Do not use this tip for Prescription Diet™ z/d™ or d/d™ pet foods.)
We do not recommend feeding people food or table scraps. Veterinarians strongly believe that feeding pets table scraps or "people" food can lead to excesses or deficiencies of nutrients in your pet's nutrition which over time may lead to health problems for your pet (like obesity). Feeding table scraps or “people” food can also result in a more finicky pet.
How do I
switch / transitionpet foods for my cat or dog?
Pets are creatures of habit and may need some help in switching to a new food. Unless recommended otherwise by a veterinarian, gradually introduce any new food over a seven-day period. Mix the new food with your pet's former food, gradually increasing the amount until only the new food is fed.
Most pets readily accept these foods, but some are more reluctant than others to give up what is familiar to them. If your pet does not easily switch, you may want to try one of the following suggestions:
- Warming the food or adding warm water enhances the food's smell and flavour.
- Do not leave food available at all times. Consider meal feeding every three to four hours, 15-20 minutes each time.
- To help enhance the flavour of both dry and canned food, add a small amount of low-sodium chicken broth or the liquid drained from tuna canned in water when transitioning your pet from one food to another. (Do not use this tip for Prescription Diet™ z/d™ or d/d™ pet foods.)
Can I give my dog a treat although he is eating Prescription Diet™ pet food?
Prescription Diet™ Metabolic™ Treats are healthy and rewarding treats for adult dogs to support healthy weight loss and weight maintenance. These Metabolic Treats are available through veterinary clinics and are a great complement for dogs being fed:
- Prescription Diet™ Metabolic Canine
- Prescription Diet™ j/d™ Canine
- Prescription Diet™ r/d™ Canine
- Prescription Diet™ w/d™ Canine
Prescription Diet™ Hypoallergenic™ Treats are for dogs with food sensitivities and skin conditions. These Hypoallergenic Treats are available through veterinary clinics and are compatible treats for dogs fed:
- Prescription Diet™ d/d™ Canine dogs
- Prescription Diet™ i/d™ Canine
- Prescription Diet™ z/d™ Canine
For dogs fed a Prescription Diet product that is not listed above, we suggest making a homemade treat using the Prescription Diet food you feed your dog and following this recipe. Also consider using Prescription Diet Stews or cans to treat your dog.
Can I give my cat a treat although she is eating Prescription Diet™ pet food?
We suggest making a homemade treat using the Prescription Diet food you feed your cat and following this recipe. Also consider using Prescription Diet Stews, pouches or cans to treat your cat.
Homemade Treat Recipe Yield: approx. two dozen treats
How can I learn more about my pet's disease?
When your pet is diagnosed with a disease, it's natural to want to know more about the illness and treatments. Find out more about cat diseases and dog diseases.
How can I tell if my pet is overweight?
With more than 50% of the pet population being overweight, it's important to be aware of your pet's weight. There are several signs you can look for to determine if your pet is becoming overweight. These warning signs include:
- Can't feel ribs anymore
- Loss of discernible waist
- Pads of fat over hips and base of tail
- Waddles when walking
- Finds it difficult to move
- Short of breath
- Bad tempered
It's important to be aware of your pet's weight, as proper growth and weight can help prevent many diseases and disorders associated with obesity, as well as growth-related skeletal disease. If you do notice any of these warning signs, your veterinarian can help recommend changes to keep your pet healthy and fit.
How do I register?
I forgot my user ID. Can you send it to me?
Contact us with your full name and email address, and we'll send your user ID.
I forgot my password. Can I get a new one?
Give us your e-mail address, and we'll send you a new password.
My account has been locked for security. How do I unlock my account?
Due to sign-in failures, your account has been locked for your security. We'll reactivate your account and reset your password - just contact us with your user ID.
I've been through all the FAQs and still have a question for Hill's. How can I contact someone?
Contact our Customer Services Department with your question.
personalisedwebsite when you come back. Other cookies track how many people view our pages so we can improve the overall experience of the website, while some are essential for the website to work. If you don’t mind cookies, please select OK to continue browsing. If you’re not sure, read our terms and conditions here or you can change your personal settings so you are in full control over which cookies you get.
Why can't I find a promotion on my pet's product?
While we try to offer a variety of promotions to reach as many of our pet parents as possible, we do not always have promotions running or coupons available. Be sure to check periodically with your veterinarian or vet shop in addition to our www.HillsTransformingLives.co.za and www.Facebook.com/HillsPetZA.